Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This time it was not my fault...

I just went back into my previous post about my wiki to add some of my musings on how my wiki would work collaboratively when...blogger crashed. I lost all of the work I had added. I see that it saves itself automatically, but where are the "drafts" it gives the time for? Where do they go and why can I not figure this out? I frantically searched around for the draft that had to have contained my newest work, but all I could find was my original post. The site then proceeded to crash and reload itself (and erase any new work I added) every time I hit the "enter" key.
I'm going to frantically add this before the site crashes again...I chose to do a wiki with a student page and educator page (though both groups of participants can go to all pages) because I have been thrilled about the small but committed group of students I've met in the high school I started working at this year who are avid readers. The only other age group I've worked with who've had this much (and even more) enthusiasm for reading are the second and third graders who can't wait to get into the library for more books. The library staff run a once-monthly book club in school for the kids, but I think they'd love a wiki because they like talking about books, and they like communicating online. Some teachers show up at our book club and I know more would like to come but can't because of their schedules, so the wiki is a way for teachers to talk about books with each other and even the kids. Personally, I love getting book recommendations from others and I am always excited to try something I've never heard of, so even though an online book group may not be the most original idea, it is one that I feel sure that students and staff in my school would enjoy participating in.
Best book a student has recommended to me lately? The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart ( http://www.amazon.com/Disreputable-History-Frankie-Landau-Banks/dp/0786838191/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296585475&sr=1-1). What a protagonist!

1 comment:

  1. I love FRANKIE! That is one of the "new classics" we look at in LBS803!

    ReplyDelete