Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Online Organizational Tools

Being an overly organized person, I was very much looking forward to this week's Explorations. Even more ways to organize myself, my work, my studies! I am a particular fan of a couple of the sites we were to look at: delicious (http://www.delicious.com/mrschase23) and Good Reads (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/433145?shelf=read). I have used each of them to varying degrees.

I actively use delicious, as I find it both useful and convenient. I mostly use this account to bookmark sites for graduate school because I set up a different, joint account for the librarians I work with. When I'm gathering sites for a teacher's latest project in the LMC it's great to be able to use delicious to save and easily share them with my colleagues.  During this program, delicious has been enormously helpful in terms of remembering the sites that I use not only for coursework, but in particular those that I plan to use (or currently do use) at my job. There are so many sites out there - some good, some bad - that having a spot to keep it all in, regardless of which computer I'm using, has been a huge help.

Just an aside - my page is called "Mrs. Chase" because that would be my name if I hadn't kept my maiden name. Apparently I was in a traditional sort of mood the day I created the account. That brings me to my next point: there are a few non-grad school sites saved there, all of which are sites I saved when searching for my husband's Christmas gifts, including a subscription to the English World Soccer magazine. The subscription site is harder to find than you'd think! I attempted to lock the two or three non-library related sites, just to help out any fellow librarians who search through and are not interested in European sports magazines...

Before I accidentally delete this I'm going to start a new post about Good Reads and RSS feeds.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to tag by course number! You seem to have a good system going.

    ReplyDelete