By the way, I know no students who use these. I don't actually know many students who like to read! I'm sure there are students who have them, but I just don't know of any yet.
On to my top five tools. Not quite sure what is meant by this - top five in terms of potential? For personal use? In a classroom? In a library? I like different ones in different situations. Here's my best shot:
- wiki (I typically use PBWorks)- I like this tool because it has so many uses, both professionally and personally. It's easy to use, collaborative, has great privacy settings for kids, and it's easy to tell who's done what (in terms of accountability in school assignments).
- blog (I typically use blogger) - I was an English teacher for many years, so I really, really think students should be writing all the time. Just because we tweet and text doesn't mean we are not responsible for teaching our kids to be writers, and to organize their thoughts into lengthier pieces of writing. Writing is a part of nearly every job, to some extent, so I love a tool that has them writing but really feels appealingly like it's theirs. They can modify and personalize it, collaborate with others, share, comment, etc. - and has great safety features. Perfect.
- Jing - I just love these screencasts. I think they're an enormously helpful tool in both teaching and professional development. They make it possible for students to re-visit parts of your lesson...and if that's available, they are likely to learn the concepts more solidly. I like that they can be personalized with your voice, too.
- YouTube - or other online videos. I'm a visual learner, so I always welcome a visual aid to my learning. I think a lot of people are like that, too. Videos are a great way to introduce or reinforce concepts in a lesson -they are real-life examples of what students are learning about. This both engages them and reinforces what we teach. There is loads of great content on YouTube in addition to some junk that must be waded through.
- Delicious/social bookmarking - though this wouldn't necessarily be used for a classroom, I think it's invaluable as an educator, or grad student, or any person who looks around the Internet a lot. Which is most people. Having the sites I need all in one place has saved me many times, especially in this grad program where I need to revisit certain concepts frequently. I like that I can look through other people's sites using the tags too. I think we put sites like Good Reads in the same category - I just love that because it helps me remember what I read, and I get to see what others recommend. And I get to see everything lined up so tidily and neatly - which is heaven to my compulsive organizing tendencies!
No comments:
Post a Comment