I've never really understood the point or appeal of Twitter. I guess the appeal is that the information is quick and easy, and the point is to get people to absorb your information as quickly and easily as possible. I can defintely see why a business would use Twitter to keep its customers on the lookout for promotions or updates; I have a friend who's a massage therapist, and she tweets to offer her clients deals occasionally, using the concept that the first ten clients to respond to her in the next hour will receive discounts on services. This use makes sense to me, as does news updates, or school closings - things that can change quickly and may have significant impact on my day.
Personally I don't have much need for celebrity tweets - I like to read about celebrities but I don't need to know where they got their coffee or what they're watching on TV. But that's just my opinion - I certainly don't judge others for their interests!
Setting up a Twitter account is very easy, and using it is easy as well. I'm glad I've had the experience of getting to know it, but I in my current job as a library assistant I don't think I'd need to use it (as I mentioned in my previous post the students there use edmodo, so I could use that to communicate with students if the need arose). I will play around with it some more to try to find other useful ways to utilize it.
I guess I could see the educational value of Twitter, though I might use Twiducate to ensure safety.
I tend to agree...I definitely don't follow celebrity tweets either! I started to use Twitter as a way to keep up with online news and blogs but didn't ever see the need to communicate what I was up to personally. I think I'd use Twiducate, too!
ReplyDelete